I am an IT person and use raid 1 here at home on 3 systems as well as do my
own backups. A good cheap usb drive used as a backup is a really good
solution. I run a small homebased computer business and when clients crash
and burn I set them up an external drive as a backup or install a second
drive in the desktop and schedule full backups on weekends and incrementals
during the week. Using an online service is o..k but they just let u store
files and such. It takes a long time to do a full backup image of a drive
and that is the best and fastest way to recover in a failure. Especially
since you really can't backup installed software and expect them to run.
Full backups or drive imaging is the fastest and easiest failure recovery
solution. The newer backup and recovery software out there is quite easy for
the average user to operate. Symantec backup exec is not real cheap but
about anyone can use it. If I can show a blond woman doctor how to use it in
one session remotely then About anyone should be able to manage.

Just my thoughts guys

W4NCS-Frank