On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Guy Harris <w6...@guysfreehold.com> wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Are you serious?
>
> Understand that JT65 is a WEAK signal mode; one the biggest problems is
> people running far too much power and causing de-sensing.

Desense is overload (compression). You need a lot of signal to cause
desense, even in poorly-designed older radios. A distant station running
even up to 100W is not likely to be causing desense. This is not a problem.

I think that what you are alluding to is people running filters that are too
wide, usually rigs using SSB filters for narrow modes like CW, PSK31, and
JT-65. In that case the unwanted signal is in the normal passband of the
receiver and activating the AGC. The AGC cannot differentiate between the
desired signal and the undesired signal in the passband. It just takes total
power in the passband and uses that to modulate the AGC. There is no brain
in the radio to be able to recognize which signal you want and which one you
don't want. The only solution is to narrow the filter to match the desired
signal and let the undesired signal fall outside the passband. Fortunately
that is easy to do with the Flex radios and much harder with others. Maybe
someday we will have the CODEC integrated with the rest of the radio so that
the CODEC uses the level of the actual desired signal to control the AGC
instead of just power in the passband. Until then, there is no choice but to
narrow the filters to just pass the desired signal.

> Please do a little research on this mode before proceeding; and try running
> 5 Watts.

While it is always a good idea to run the minimum power necessary to make a
contact, that minimum power may turn out to be 100W or even 1500W, not 5W.
It is what it is and there is no arbitrary number you can place on it. OTOH,
if JT65 is reporting that your signal is +10dB, then you can probably get
away with dialing down the power and still maintaining the contact. The only
problem with that is that you don't know what the power was until after your
first exchange, at which time the contact is over! Oh well.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.