In general, setting the VAC sampling rate (SR) to 48KHz, regardless of the PowerSDR (audio) sampling rate is the established "Best Practice". PowerSDR does a good job of SR down conversion.

There are however some cases where it may be advantageous to use a different VAC SR, one of which is when you can't force Win7 or Vista to accept a default SR for the defined VAC cables of 48KHz and they are permanently "stuck" at 44.1 KHz/2 channel. See the following KB article: http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50504.aspx

I have found one other reason to use a different SR than 48K and that is when you are recording off the monitor video and audio, like for YouTube videos when you are routing the audio through a VAC cable to the vid capture program and it is expecting a SR of 44.1 or 22.05 KHz.

The key here is to minimize the SR down (or up) conversions and let the digital mode program or PowerSDR do them, not Windows.

-Tim
---
Tim Ellison, W4TME
Product Management, Sales & Support
FlexRadio Systems^(TM)
4616 W Howard Ln Ste 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713 Ext. 223
Email: t...@flexradio.com <mailto:t...@flexradio.com>
Web: www.flexradio.com <http://www.flexradio.com>

logo
/Tune In Excitement^(TM)
PowerSDR^(TM) is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems/