Brian you make a key point. I have yet to find a radio (and I use many, both modern and boatanchor) that have "noise reduction" which really improves things. Yes, occasionally engine impulse noise, the new Flex TNF's are certainly outstanding for heterodynes and maybe some adjacent splatter, sometimes noise blankers help, but to my ears, most of the "technology fixes" take away more than they add (or they add more than they take away?).

I still cannot figure out a good setting for the Flex NF, NB1 and NB2 (and there's sure a lot of menu settings), ditto the NR and ANF functions. I would be more disappointed, but I have had the same experiences with for example Kenwood TS200, Yaesu FT1000MP, Icom IC706iiG, several "DSP speakers", and numerous boatanchors. The more you try to improve the S/N:N, the more you bastardize the sound.

This is pretty subjective...some people use headphones, some speakers, some stereo systems, everyone has different hearing capabilities, etc., etc., it all becomes very subjective. Personally, I don't like the "sound" of DSP.....to much bubbly echo & reverberation, artifacts, etc. I like the how the Flex NB's kill the ever-present frying noise, but the NB's eventually start to distort the recovered signal to the point that I'd prefer the impulse noise (cure is worse than the disease). Maybe one day we will see a more effective NR/NB system, but I'm afraid for now the AGC-T trick (and a pair of good ears) is the best "processing power" we have.

73
dan
k0dan

Now, insofar as Flex's NR implementation is concerned, I have to admit
that, even after 3 years of fiddling with it, I have never found any
combination of settings that seem to make it usable. (I have found lots of
settings that make it worse than useless though!) I and others have asked
the question here repeatedly about suggested settings of NR but we never
get anything useful. Other implementations of NR on other radios I have
used seem to me to work a lot better. Regardless, I find that
*all*implementations of NR seem less useful to me than just setting
the
RF-gain/AGC-T and AF-gain properly. After many minutes of fiddling I always
find that I finally converge on turning off NR or (on other radios) DSP.
But that is me. YMMV.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.