Just another thing to be thankful for.

On 11/24/2011 1:31 PM, Neal Campbell wrote:
Why is it we always go for the worst outcome first?

I have been building and testing a computer today and everything was going
smoothly until it just turned off. Would not power up no matter what!

So, I unplug everything from the motherboard and bring out the PSU tester,
which shows a bad power supply. So, I plug in the bench PSU and try the
computer, no luck. So I put the power supply tester on the bench power
supply and it shows dead.

This is too much stuff dead but my first suspicion is that the PSU tester
isn't good so I throw it away and look for my spare one (not found).

Then I look down and see the power cord is not fully plugged in. AHA!

So I unplug the  bench PSU and get the PSU tester out of the trash. Plug
the original PSU back in, hit the power button and nothing happens! So I
plug the PSU tester into the original PSU and still no reading. Well, maybe
the original PSU really did die!

So I am looking in inventory for a replacement PSU and see I have none
available (the bench PSU is very underpowered for anything but testing).
But, I figured, at least confirm the motherboard isn't dead so I plug in
the bench PSU and hit the power button, nothing.

Usually at this stage its a sign I need to walk away because frustration
will start to blind me. So I push back my chair to leave and then see the
power cord for the power outlet on my test bench has worked its way out of
the power socket.

Why didn't I check that at the beginning and save myself an hour of
frustration and picking my PSU tester out of trash twice???

At least its up and working normally again!