To: <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] more 3000 tests...

Brett-- I just checked out the NewEgg computer you linked and it looks great. I hadn't heard of the FX series processors, and it looks great. I have a AMD Phenom II, built about 1.5 years ago, and the FX is even more advanced, next gen. FX has lots of L2 and L3 cache, should be a killer.

I love the Phenom II-- I can run PSDR, with dozens of other apps, including remote access with Teamviewer and Skype (both big hogs), FLDigi, logging programs, you name it. Never misses a beat. So one day I decided to find the limit. Besides PSDR running and decoding PSK31 with FLDigi and logging, I had DDUtil coordinating the serial comm, 0-com-0, VAC, Teamviewer and skype running to make the remote work, a USB Netcam showing shack video to a buddy connected remotely, Davis Weatherlink writing out internet and APRS local weather info (runs on the machine 24x7), had email running, Panda Anti-virus in the background, was rendering an edited video with Pinnacle HD Ultimate, decrypting a DVD with DVD Shrink, and compiling/writing a DVD video with Nero 10. Couldn't cause PSDR to even stutter. Highest I ever saw the processor load though-- hit 60% a couple of times-- but that's it!! I had all the cores humping for that run though!

*PSDR is not a big resource hog. *But it does need to be serviced frequently and in near-real time. If some other process or driver causes a delay on the interrupt stack, you are going to notice the delays in the audio streams or CW response. Having multiple cores helps provide resources when another process is hogging, and lots of RAM so swapping NEVER happens is essential. My normal setup, not doing stupid stuff like rendering videos, decrypting DVDs and writing disks-- CPU usage is 5-7%. Start Teamviewer and Skype and connect remotely and it jumps to 12-15%. DPCs go up with Teamviewer and Skype too, but not over 75 or so, except an occasional spike when the remote operator moves or clicks something on the screen.

When you hook that new computer to the Flex, you should see what the Flex really runs like.

Enjoy and 73

Steve WA7DUH