On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Burt <k1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of going to the 3000 from the 5000. I do not care about a
> second receiver. Is there any other disadvantage for making the move. It
> just seems the 5000 is more than I need, it is not a money issue.
>
> Advice?

I've got all three. At one time I was going to sell my 5000 and go just
with the 3000 and even got so far as to have someone send me a check for
it. I decided to keep the 5000 and got a used 3000 later. Not sorry I did.

Both are good radios. I love the 3000 operating portable. There is just
nothing better. I use the 5000 at home with the 3000 as backup.

Not sure I can talk you out of selling the 5000. Unless you really need the
extra antenna switching, or the extra dynamic range, or you want to run
192kHz sample rate, or you want the external reference input (I use all
these things), you will be happy with the 3000. OTOH, when you sell your
5000 you are probably not going to get enough above the price of the 3000
to really make it worthwhile. So my advice would be to keep the 5000.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.