Thanks, Tim. Some additional discussion if you don't mind:

1. More input lines on PC
True, but the input is digital. Am I right that digital input into the PC would be less susceptible to RFI than analog input into the radio? Regardless, RFI has not reared its ugly head in my shack, but I've slapped ferrite cores on everything too slow to outrun me.

2. D/A and A/Ds in radio have greater dynamic range
These are professional, studio-quality audio devices, not the best, but good enough for my ears. I have tried hard and failed to detect any difference when using the same headphones attached to the computer vs. the radio. Haven't tried connecting a mic directly to the radio.

3. I'm way too inexperienced in this hobby to look at digital modes yet, but I think I understand your point. Has Flex considered including VAC configuration in Transmit profiles or some similar method so one could simplify switching between voice and digital modes.

4. For folks like you who don't like eggnog, you might want to try Rompope, a Mexican concoction that is quite tasty. Originally made by nuns. No mistletoe allowed in that convent!

73
Bill KF5MTW

Tim Ellison, W4TME wrote:
If your PC and external sound devices do not impart unacceptable latency, then the only real "cons" for configuring the AF signal paths this way are:

- More input lines on the PC that can be ingress points for RFI
- The D/A and A/Ds in the FLEX-3000 probably have greater dynamic range than the USB sound devices. - VAC I/O channels consumed for phone and speakers. Have to reconfigure for digital modes.

My comments were not eggnog influenced. I hate the stuff. I'd rather hunt out the mistletoe :-)

-Tim
---
Tim Ellison, W4TME
Product Management, Sales & Support