I think Brett's space-factor is "the new black" as far as computer systems
go. Now that we want bigger and more screen, we want to see few and smaller
boxes. Bob's idea of turning his computer 180 degrees so the back is the
front is a great one. I do a 90 degree turn myself, so I can get to both
front and back equally well but still do not see the power fan!

One thing that I  want to do in 2012 is introduce the mini-ITX form factor
to the our "sub-culture"!

The mini-ITX case I use in the shack is about the size of the 5000a.  l
always use expensive case/power supplies (the small PSUs in these systems
are lower powered because the motherboards are designed for very low power)
and even then I use 350-400W units.

But with mini-ITX, I can built a system almost as powerful as my premium
system in a case just a little longer than a 5000 but otherwise the same
size In fact, its what I used in my home hacked 5000C (I7-2600). The
downside is that you have no expandability (other than USB ports), are
limited to the Intel 3000 integrated  graphics and 8-16GB of memory.
'
These are really neat form factors, take up little room and can go from
cheap/powerful to expensive/insanely powerful. I use mine a lot without a
monitor attached to it, just use Teamviewer.

A toy I am testing this week is the Acer 23" touch-screen monitor. Its
possibly too big for some aspects but I think if it is mounted on an
adjustable monitor stand, maybe at hand-level so just  below the main
monitors in front of the desk, it could be a great way to play Radio! As I
said, it might be too big for that, but imagine running a 19-21"
touchscreen within hand-reach without leaning,etc.  and then two screens on
the desktop with grey line, log, dxcluster, etc. We are starting to talk
Star Trek NG here. If we could detach the panafall out of PSDR's display
and drag it up to the two main monitors, that would be the ultimate!

Another toy I got a couple of weeks ago (and haven't had a chance to report
back to you guys) is the Hercules MP3 controller. MAN WHAT A GREAT
ADDITION!!! Yes, shouting! Its probably as good as full touch-screen
control of the radio in a much cheaper package. There are some down-sides
for it (mainly, you are using a third-party version of PSDR so what happens
when it stops tracking the main release), but the two big knobs are really
smooth, the tuning is very responsive, having the ability to change things
like the tune step, fader between RX's, etc is great. I honestly cannot
tell you how much I like this add-on.

We were limited to the Griffin and Shuttlepro knobs early on but now have
some top rate products in: Beppe's T-Mate; Flex's FlexControl; and, now the
Hercules. The TouchScreen approach may be another one (or a bomb, who knows
until we try) so I will report back when I have a solid opinion!

Have a great Christmas everyone! You have given me a great year and I owe
you all!!