As it turns out, the problem with the drive starting high and "fading" down to the programmed level in AM mode may have to do with the mic and mic input used.

* If I use a D-104 (with the pre-amp cranked almost off) it exhibits the issue.

* If I switch to the Heil PR-781 connected to the rear apron balanced input the issue does *not* occur.

Does that make sense? Not to me, but I'm going to experiment with other microphones on both inputs and see what happens. The shack is at least three hundred feet at the closest from the antenna and the feedline is choked in several places with a dozen or so Mix-31 beads in addition to there being a good quality balun at the feedpoint, which is somewhere around 60-70 feet above ground. There are no other symptoms of RF getting into anything... The game is certainly afoot, though... My AM group likes the sound of the D-104 and I don't like unsolved mysteries.

73,
--jim

Jim Barber, N7CXI