My Flex-5000 is utterly deaf below the U.S. AM broadcast band. Can't even
pick up
local airport Non-Directional Beacons.

But I do some longwave listening with my old Kenwood TS-850/HF vertical and
often
hear European AM broadcast stations in the 150-200 kHz range even from my
QTH in
Missouri. Radio France Inter can often be heard from local sunset until
sunrise
in Europe on 162 kKHz. The BBC station on 198 kHz is almost as loud.

It's easy to assume that these signals are spurs from local AM stations but
they make the very long trip using immense power, often above a megawatt.
Even
very low power 600-meter ham beacons around 500 kHz can be heard over most
of
the U.S.

Don't sell longwave short.

Jeff