I have a friend of mine W9AD, he has a 5000A, operates it remote from Mexico most of the time, and sounds like $1,000,000 on AM. Work him every Saturday on 3.885 and no one has a better signal. Other than myself of course.

Dave W9WRL

Jim Barber wrote:

I had to do a little damage control with a member of our regional AM group who was put off a bit about a potential 5K purchase because he was told a Flex employee had stated that the radio "was never designed with AM use in mind".

Hearsay being what it is I don't know what was actually said, but I certainly hope it wasn't stated quite that way. The 5K works very well on AM; much better than any of the Japanese rigs, at least. Perhaps an expanded section in the manual would help - I've helped several AM'ers with the concept of 1:4 carrier vs modulated output. Once they "got" it and paused long enough to learn about the TX audio controls, they were fine.

My .02 only, adjust for local currency.

73,
Jim N7CXI

-----