I based my specualtion on the built-in PC motherboard on the reality that
getting consistently reliable low latency I/O between the sampling HW and the
DSP processing with widely variable end user PC configurations continues to be
a thorn in the side of the Flex-xxxx series radios. Can it be done, certainly,
as many have done so. But bringing the "back end" DSP processing HW into the
radio box itself gives them much more control over the latency sensitive pieces
of the system. The external UI and audio presentation tasks are comparatively
easier to do on an array of widely varying end user PC HW that is out there.

And that in turn drives my speculation that the box may very well be running
Linux, that too gives Flex greater control over the OS environment that end
user Windows environments simply don't. But unlike the 5000C, I don't envision
the "radio box" itself being driven directy with a KVM much of the time (though
it could be). Instead it will be the user's existing PC and possibly
tablet/phones that will be the UI front end for a large percentage of users
most of the time.

BTW it wouldn't surprise me that the UI piece will be built on HTML 5, thus
making that piece of it cross platform as well..

My price point prediction has nothing to do with actual manufacturing costs,
but is instead based entirely on the end user marketable "value" of this new
HW vs. its likely closest RF performance competitors, i.e. FT-5000, TS-990
(presumably), fully loaded K-3 system, Orion II with RX-366.

The good news we only have to guess and speculate for another few days, on
Friday we will then know..

Duane
N9DG