The on-board optional GPS serves two key purposes:

1) Long-term & short-term frequency stability (GPSDO)
2) Capability for unique time-sensitive applications

The first is obvious -- the 10 MHz out of the GPS is used as a reference
for the master 983.04MHz oscillator which determines the frequency
stability of the radio.  The second is more subtle.  The GPS' 1PPS and
serial are used together to obtain a high accuracy time correlation for RF
data across multiple FLEX-6000 Signature Series radios.  Initially, only
number one above will be realized in software.  But future software will
have the capability of RF data with high-precision time correlation at its
disposal. Imagine what is possible ;-)  Order of operations is: 1) make it
work, 2) do something cool.

Steve

Stephen Hicks, N5AC, AAR6AM
VP Engineering
FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Ste 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713 x205
Email:
st...@flexradio.com<https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/732/?source=na&hl=en>
Web: www.flexradio.com

*Tune In Excitement™*
PowerSDR™ is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems

On Saturday, May 19, 2012, Brian Lloyd wrote:

> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Bill Dailey
> <docdai...@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > Is there going to be nmea and pps out from the gps to the main board.  I
> > am asking because if pps was sent to a hardware pin and nmea was sent
> > serial to the mainboaed it woul also make a great high precision ntp
> server.
> >

> SMOP!
>
> (Small matter of programming.)
>
> They have to have a channel from the housekeeping processor to configure
> and initialize the GPS receiver so you know that channel exists. OTOH, they
> might not use the 1PPS. But if they are at all like me, they would have
> routed it to the housekeeping processor somehow just-in-case. So far, they
> seem to think a lot like I do. (Probably because we all tend to want the
> same things.) So ...
>
> --
> Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
> 3191 Western Dr.