The issue is overdrive.

I have a HLA300v that has plenty of gain and the F1500 is a good match at 5W.
300W at 160m, lower gain at 10m. They use 4 SD1446 75W transistors. PEP claims
are double reality. New version has MRF455 60W bipolars.
Clean to about 200W level with output filtering and "protection".
However with that much gain overdrive with other radios is not hard to do at
all.
Get a mate with an SDR with panadapter to check your signal!

http://pa0fri.home.xs4all.nl/Lineairs/HLA300/hla300eng.htm
http://www.w8ji.com/rm_hla-150_test.htm

Andrew