Hi, everybody

I'm trying to get my Audio-Technica ATR30 working with the 1/4" TRS balanced input on the back of my Flex 5000.

I've got the 1/4" TRS plug wired correctly to the XLR (Pin 1 to sleeve, Pin2 to tip, Pin 3 to ring) , but when I plug it into the balanced input jack on the rear of the radio, I get ZERO audio, i.e. NO RF indicated when I key the radio and talk

I know the microphone is good (it's brand new) because I used the same microphone, cable, and plug on Field Day with my Yaesu FT-847, and it worked *perfectly*.

I made an adapter from 1/4" TRS to the 8-pin connector Yeasu uses, and plugged it into the front of the '847.

I even received some compliments on the audio.

I just used this same adapter (1/4" TRS jack to 8-pin round plug) into the front panel mic jack on the 5000 and it works.

I read the Flex manual, and looked in the "Setup" menu to see if I had to enable the rear TRS input, but no joy.

Can anybody clue me in as to what I'm doing wrong?

Does the balanced input require more drive than the mic itself puts out? I tried enabling the "mic boost" in the setup menu, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I'm stumped....

73, Jim  KQ6EA