Given the power output of the Flex 5000A with the VU5K option the only thing it is capable of doing is driving a linear amp. Even at that, it is not all that stable at very low power output levels, so be careful just what kind of linear you might choose to drive with the Flex.

Don't make the mistake that I did and try to operate the Flex 5000A with VU5K installed to drive a 2m or a 70cm transverter. Having been quite unhappy with the 2m performance of my Flex with the VU5K installed, I purchased a German Kuhne 2m transverter to connect to my Flex 5000. With the way the VU5K is configured into the Flex 5000, it cannot be done, as the VU5K implementation does not allow either an additional 2m or 70cm transverter to be operational with the Flex. If you do not have the VU5K option then you could use the Flex with any number of 2m or 70cm transverters. This to me is a very serious design flaw and along with the low power output and noisy fan are some of the many reasons they are no longer offering the VU5K option.

Terry