A few things, in no particular order

   - See if you can run the 3000 on another computer as this will help to
   eliminate if the problem is the computer or not
   - Make sure the firewire cable is firmly seated on both ends
   - Look at the windows event logs and see if you can get a clue of what
   crashed first
   - Did anything else change
   - Try resetting the PSDR database ( you can make a copy of your old one)
   - Could it be RF related (you don't say if you were transmitting or not)
   - Fire up the DPC Lantency checker and see if you computer is busy
   - It may be your hard drive starting to fail and it is in constant
   repair mode.  This is hard to see as it happens without anything being
   reported to windows.  Only running Spinrite (www.grc.com) will help
   eliminate this

Mike va3mw