Basic stereo diversity reception requires two independent and preferably identical receivers (AGC, filtering, preamp, noise figure, etc..) connected to two different antennas that are diverse in wavelength (distance apart) and/or polarity. The two receivers need to be frequency locked. In this mode you listen to one receiver in one ear and the other receiver in the other ear and your brain does the signal process to figure out which one has the best signal to noise ratio. Frequency locking two seperate (independent) receivers is not a trivial task. The FLEX-5000+RX2 uses a common DDS for both receivers and they are identiical in design, so doing diversity with a FLEX-5000+RX2 is as easy as doing a VFO sync and when you tune RX1, both receivers tune together; two clicks of the mouse.

For advanced diversity techniques such as synchronous diversity, which is beam stearing and null forming (using the phase and magnitude of the 2nd RX to either enhance or null signals), the receivers also need to be phase locked or coherent. To my knowledge the FLEX-5000 + RX2 is the only ham radio capable of doing this.

Tim Ellison