Various older Handbooks, including my 1962, have a simple circuit of diodes to
lessen nearby blasts of audio.  It's called a noise limiter, and works between
the audio out and the headphones on the principle of diode current limiting.
Not an AVC circuit but it may help.  Bob, NZ5A

Sent from my iPhone