One significant item you left off the items you need is a compatible personal computer with a compatible firewire interface. The list archive is full of messages from unhappy people missing the point that an old junker loaded with viruses and old background apps sucking all the meager computer resources and leaving nothing left for PowerSDR.

PowerSDR, the application that makes the Flex 1500/3000/5000 work, MUST be able to operate in real-time without interruption. It can't stop and stutter as you computer tries to service other junk also running on the computer. Programs you might not even know are there. A really fast computer isn't necessary, a really CLEAN computer without poorly written junk programs or viruses is a must. Also, there are certain Firewire chipsets that work well, and others that don't.

Operating a Flex 3K mobile sounds real unsafe. I'm sure others have done it, but a computer screen and mouse might be tough to operate driving down the road. But then, I wouldn't try to put a Icom 7800 on my dash either.

Operating remote and in digital modes (RTTY, PSK31, etc) are where a Flex shines. No RigRunners, soundcards or external cables required-- it is all done in your computer with "virtual" audio cables and "virtual" serial cables/ports (for frequency control, PTT, etc).

Yes-- you will need several attachments. Remember, with the Flex you are getting a rig with better specs than a $12,000+ Icom 7800. I appreciate that Flex leaves the choice of station speaker, microphone, power supply, etc. to me, instead of including some piece of junk and increasing the base price. This way, I am not paying for some mobile mic that sits in the drawer, and listening to a junky speaker built into the radio box.

This same philosophy is carried through on software accessories. Some on this list have complained that the Flex doesn't have logging, digital mode and remote software "built-in". What the Flex has are standard software interfaces, so that the operator can interface with the external apps of their choice. You might like Ham Radio Deluxe, I might like DX-Labs. We aren't forced into a particular solution. We have choice!

I hope this helps.  Steve WA7DUH