On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Nige G7CNF <g7cnf.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did promise a while back that I'd put a video up for it or at least in
> my case the "Heros SCR Preselector-CAT". Since I use one with a Flex-5K I
> can vouch that if you're using tuned antennas there really shouldn't be a
> need for one. If however you are using nonresonant antennas or in proximity
> to a transmitting station then you might be surprised at the improvements
> that can be had. With the greatest of respect to Tim's comment I don't
> consider Taiwan's Premier radio station to be very close to me in the UK
> however it is the station which causes me the greatest problem! Or at least
> it did until I got the Heros Preselector. And just  to be clear, the
> incoming, coaxial cable has two line isolators so there is negligible RF
> getting back into the  shack  (Tested with spectrum analyser and current
> probe).
>
> I have just managed to put the video up tonight and it can be found at
> http://youtu.be/yeA8yyiK0X4

Brilliant! Well done! While many argue from opinion, you demonstrate.

But I would like to make one point here -- that it doesn't matter whether
the radio is an SDR, hybrid, or pure analog, if you remove unwanted signals
before they get to the active stages, the receiver will work better.
Period. So, if you are dealing with strong, unwanted signals, you should
remove them in order for the receiver to perform its best. Some sort of
input filtering (preselection) is advantageous.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.