Note that once Windows assigns a port number to a device it never unassigns it even if you remove the device. However, since you know the device cannot actually be in use you can reassign it. It will give you warning messages but just ignore them. It should work OK though this is probably not the solution to your control knob problem.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Chris wrote:
Hi Jim,

Thanks.  You pointed me to the Zombie port problem a few months ago when I
first started trying to get this FlexControl installed, so I've been through
that more than a few times.  I think you told me about assigning the COM
ports back then as well.  I was pretty sure I tried it, but tried it again
today just for the heck of it.  It didn't help.    But what was strange is
when I pushed the button to change the Comport, a bunch of ports showed "In
use" even though I have deleted all the hidden Zombie ports, and have
removed all of the serial and USB-to-serial devices and ports from the
computer.  However, even choosing a port that wasn't claimed to be in use
would not allow me to install the FlexControl.

Chris, KA1GEU