Mark,

I had the same problem about 2 years ago on 40m. I ultimately tracked it down by walking up and down the street with the FLEX-1500 powered by a gel cell, my laptop, and a 3' diameter magnetic loop tuned to the area of 40m visited by the 'hump'. The loop has an extremely sharp null perpendicular to the plane of the loop, so it made it easy to locate the source quickly.

The source ended up being a power supply in a neighbor's desktop computer, located about 300 feet away. I begged him to let me buy him a high quality replacement power supply, and said that I'd install it for him. He kindly accepted my offer, and the issue was resolved. The offending power supply was reduced to about 10% of it's original height, to assure that it could never be returned to service by anyone who may have pulled it from the trash.

Good luck w/ your investigations.

73, Dale
WA8SRA