On 3/1/2013 10:54 PM, Dan Baker wrote:
http://youtu.be/7GtX8IpzDRg

This is my Flex-3000 This is an example of the distortion I can not get rid
of after owning it for just under a month. I bought this from Flex.
You are listening to a Electro Voice RE20 plugged directly into the mic
jack on the Flex. I can plug any of my mic's into the Flex, and use their
respective TX profiles. And I get the same result
The first phrase is into a dummy load with 3 watts. The second phrase is
into my dipole with 100 watts. The receiver is a Kenwood TS-950S. I set the
audio chain up with W1AEX's excellant information from his web page.
http://www.w1aex.com/psdrgain/psdrgai...<http://www.w1aex.com/psdrgain/psdrgain.html>
Your comments are appreciated.

Best Regards, Dan

Well, for typical amateur SSB, it sounds fine. If I were to put on my super-critical audiophile hat, I would add the following:

1. It sounds like the receiver is just a few Hertz off of the transmit frequency, just enough to be noticeable. Not attributable to the Flex, I think.

2. There is a tiny amount of distortion at the very beginning of each phrase -- sounds like the receiver's AGC is allowing an intial peak to clip before it catches up and reduces the gain. Again, not attributable to the Flex.

3. The bandwidth appears to be limited to 300 to 3000 Hz; I don't know if this is attributable to the transmit profile you are using in PowerSDR or to the receiver's filter or both. And perhaps this bandwidth is exactly what you want. But the Electro-Voice microphone is capable of broadcast quality, and so is the Flex (within certain limits, but reasonable ones) provided you configure one of your transmit profiles with that in mind.

But I hear no egregious distortion or RF ingress or anything like that.

Best of luck in getting the sound you want -- no rig can do that better than the Flex.

73,

Kevin, WB4AIO.