John,

ANY of the GearMo USB/Serial adaptors are well-built, inexpensive and
WORK correctly (they all use the FTDI USB~RS-232 ICs). The model I'm
personally using here (I have 2 of them: one each on two different PCs)
is the Model USA-FTDI4X, which is their 4-port model. They also make a 2
port model (USA-FTDI2X) and a 1-port model the FTDI-8.

AVOID like the plague any USB~RS-232 adaptor that uses the Prolific
IC. Even the "real" ones (there are tons of counterfeit Commie Chinese
knockoff "Prolific" adaptors out there too) have issues with the
handshake lines, especially on Windows 7. If you have a device that uses
strictly just the TXd & RXd lines, the Prolifics are OK.

Best prices I've found for the GearMo adaptors is on Amazon.

73,
Bill Bowen
K8WHB