Craig,?

It all depends what you want to do with  the rigs.  Yes I have
recently been comparing both rigs side by side. As far as in
the "real world" comparisons, pulling in weak stations in a
crowded band situation, both are equal. Do you want to use a
computer, or do you want knobs and buttons?  Do you want
portability? Do you want 10 watts or 100?  There are so many
variables in one's preference.

The IMD3 receive rating if better on the KX3 according to Bob Sheerwood, BUT I
con see no audible difference in my ham shack.
I believe what is measured in a lab does not always show any
improvement in the "real world".  The notch filtering are the
same, however, the NB was a little bit better on the KX3.  To
me they are pretty much the same on receive. Both radios have
equal quality transmit audio.  I tested the KX3 with their
optional 2.9 roofing filter, which improved the IMD3 receive.
Even with that the Flex-3000 was equal.

I would say it all depends on how you plan to use the radio.
I was only comparing the two on SSB only.  I decided to stay
with the Flex due to the 100 watt output and the panadapter.  I
did not care about any portability or qrp.

Hope that helps.

Matthew-KJ4TN