Everyone,

I think the measurements and discussion by Leif Asbrink,
http://www.sm5bsz.com/dynrange/dubus313.pdf, is of interest to anyone in the
amateur radio hobby.  It is of particular interest to VHF and UHF operators
where the noise floor to maximum signal amplitude may be greater than the 77 dB
signal difference between the carrier and sideband noise of a Flex5000 at +/-
350 kHz from the carrier frequency.

For HF operation where atmospheric noise is predominant the sideband noise is
not an issue.  For example, one is operating at 3.900 MHz and a very strong
Flex5000 carrier is detected at S9 + 20 dBm, which is -73 + 20 dBm = -50 dBm.
Based on Leif's measurements, peaks in sideband noise of -77 dBc will occur at
3.900 +/- 0.350 MHz, which are 3.550 and 4.250 MHz.  The amplitude of these
noise peaks will be S9 - 77 dBm = -50 dBm - 77 dB = -127 dBm.  On 3.550 MHz,
the CW portion of the 80 meter band, at a very quiet location, the typical
noise floor will be S5, which is 4 S units or 24 dBm below S9.  Therefore, the
noise floor is at S9 - 4 S units = -73 dBm - 24 dBm = -97 dBm.  So, the
sideband noise peak is -127 dBm - (-97 dBm), which is -30 dBm or 30 dBm below
the noise floor.  Clearly, for HF operation the Flex5000 sideband noise is not
an issue.

Some questions for the Flex Company.

1. Has the Flex Company made measurements of the sideband noise amplitude?
2. How do these measurements compare to those reported by Leif?
3. Is the sideband noise amplitude still -77 dBc for current Flex5000s?
4. Is the sideband noise amplitude still -77 dBc for the Flex6000 series?

By the way, I am a happy user of a Flex5000 on the HF bands and am trying to
keep some perspective about the issues raised by Leif.  I do not operate on VHF
and UHF so I cannot comment about those frequencies.

I think the above analysis is correct and hope others will add their ideas.

Paul Jursinic K9IRO