Brad,
If you're going to use DDutil, you may want to 'Un enable' AutoDetect in PSDR,
and use DDU's Knob functions instead.
I was in your shoes, and forced the Knob's port assignment in Windows Device
Manager.
{First find an empty hardware Com port in Device Manager
Then Control Panel / Device Manager / Ports / Flex Control USB Control Knob /
Port Settings / Advanced / COM Port Number (You Pick the Empty Hardware Port) .
Then DDU Setup / TKnob , and Enable the Flex Control, and set the port you set
in the Device Manager.
When you open DDU next, the knob lights should come on.
If not, there may be phantom ports left in Windows.  Track them down and kill
them.  Start again.