Hi Dave

What can happen is that if you have common mode currents, then the RF on
the feedline can affect the SWR readings on your radio.    Do you have any
mix 31 chokes on the feedline?  I have seen this happen on my screwdriver
antenna and the moment I choked the feedline and the DC control lines ALL
my problems went away.

If this is on 40 or 80M and a screwdriver antenna, you will require a small
shunt on the feed point to the antenna to improve the match.  Again, you
didn't mention which band this was happening on.  40M tends to be the
problem band at times.

Personally, I would recommend that you get the antenna tuned to 50 ohms and
not use the tuner on the 3000.  I think your performance might improve.

I'm not exactly sure why things changed overnight, but that does happen and
the is the magic of RF.  It is likely a case your Screwdriver not in the
exact same tuning place it was before.  I doubt this is a radio problem at
all.  You can test it by seeing if you can tune into a resistive 25 or 100
ohm load.

Just thinking out loud.

Mike va3mw