Perhaps the "pollution" situation is more of an ethical issue than a legal
one.

An analogy might help to understand.  As far as I remember, the FCC and
other authorities place no legal constraints on audio quality.    A
transmitter with badly distorted audio and a loud 120 Hz hum is painful for
others to hear, but perfectly legal to transmit.  Most of us would be
embarrassed to use such a rig, and work vigorously to fix it when somebody
tells us we sound horrible.   Radio manufacturers, including Flex, tout
their rigs as possessing "excellent audio".   It's a feature to be proud
of, not required by legal rules, but considered polite to our society.

I'm not a microwave guy, but it sounds to me like the Flex units RF "sounds
horrible" in that society.   Not illegal, but something to know when you
make the decision as to which rig to get for your shack.  For much of us,
running on HF, it doesn't matter.   For others, it does, and they choose a
different rig, or, as some have done, simply put the unit on a shelf to
collect dust after you find out how bad you "sound" to your neighbors on
the bands.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV