Several times a year the XYL (N8FPA) and I go car camping and I have been
considering getting a QRP rig for use on the road.

The rig that I have mainly considering is the FT-817 and getting a NUE-PSK
modem to use with it for CW and PSK31. I really like the FT-817 as I could
charge the external batteries that I have (2 Quantum Ham Batteries) from a
solar panels.

However the Flex-1500 has a lot more capability as it runs PowerSDR and I have
been using a Flex-5000 for years and cannot imagine not having a waterfall to
see activity.

So my question is there a decent low cost, low current drain currently
available laptop that you would suggest to use with a 1500? Is there an easy
way to charge one with solar panels?

For comparison a fully loaded FT-817 and NUE-PSK is $1400 and a Flex-1500 is
$700. I figure that I could spend $500 for a low drain laptop and get a lot
more capability.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

73
Zack Schindlder
N8FNR