Testing to determine the best way of supporting VS2008 has had some
interesting results. It turns out that it is not possible to have a single
solution support VS2005 and VS2008, using NAnt at least.
The test environments that I used were:

1. Win XP Pro SP3 - 32bit; VS2005; .Net 2.0.50727; .Net 3.0
2. Win Svr2008 Ent SP1 - 64bit; VS2008; .Net 2.0.50727; .Net 3.0; .Net 3.5

There were 4 configurations of NAnt used in testing:
A. NAnt .85 no modifications;
B. NAnt .85 patched with framework update from Palermo;
C. NAnt .86beta1 no modifications;
D. NAnt .85 patched with framework update from NAnt .86beta1

Not all possible tests were performed as failures at certain points,
obviated the need for further tests using NAnt configurations.

Test: 1-A; Result: Works (it should this is my main development environment)
Test: 2-A; Result: Fails (sln file not parsable)
Test: 1-B; Result: Fails (no .Net 3.5 directory)
Test: 2-B; Result; Works
Test: 1-C; Result; Works
Test: 2-C; Result; Fails (unable to use zip library - looks like a 64bit
issue)
Test: 1-D; Result; Fails (no .Net 3.5 directory)

The preferred solution would have been to use a patched version of NAnt .85,
but this is not viable due to the failure on development systems without
.Net 3.5 installed. As FlexWiki does not have a real dependency on this part
of .Net framework, this will not be implemented.

The failure of NAnt .86beta1 in the 64bit environment precludes the use of
this as a solution, at this time. I will submit a bug to NAnt regarding this
issue.

So this seems to leave us at the status quo, for the time being. Those using
VS2008 will need to maintain a separate copy of the patch NAnt .85
nant.exe.config as per the solution worked out by Palermo and revise the
framework parameter in flexwiki.build to .Net-3.5.

If someone else finds a solution that covers one of the fail conditions
outlined above, I will reconsider and retest. I will monitor the NAnt
project and retest when they make their next release.

John Davidson