David, John,

Good work on the initial panel and model.  Minor nit (before even
trying to take off) The engine will not even crank if the mixture is
pulled all the way out.  Push in the mixture and the engine cranks
(and starts) just fine.

Thanks,

Curt.

David Megginson writes:
> For those of you who haven't been following the discussion on
> flightgear-model, we have a new JSBSim aero model available in CVS.
> The Cessna 310 is a low-wing six-seater, twin-prop piston-powered
> aircraft with funny fuel tanks on the wingtips.  It has a range of
> 800-1000nm (depending on configuration), and can cruise around
> 160-180kt.
>
> The aerodynamics are not right yet, but the plane is flyable (be
> careful to hold the nose down on climb).  We don't have a proper 310
> panel ready, but John Check has kindly modified the 172 panel to add
> instrumentation for the second engine in the mean time.  You can
> download a 3D model of a 310 from Wolfram's site if you to watch the
> flight from the outside:
>
>   http://home.t-online.de/home/Wolfram.Kuss/FGFS1/FGFS1.htm
>
> To try out the C310, make sure you have the latest CVS code for
> FlightGear and the base package, then do
>
>   fgfs --aircraft=c310 --prop:/sim/panel/path=Aircraft/c310/c310-vfr-panel.xml
>
> You'll need to start each engine separately.  By default, the joystick
> throttle will move the throttle for both engines.
>
> Major Caveats
> -------------
>
> - Most of the aero coefficients are still for the C172 rather than the
>   C310, so lift, drag, etc. are not quite right.
>
> - The plane is using the wrong propellor model.
>
> - There is not yet any way to control propellor pitch, cowl flaps, or
>   landing gear (which is always down but creates no drag currently).
>
> - Single-engine flight doesn't cause any yaw (I suspect a JSBSim bug
>   here).
>
> Despite these caveats, this plane can fly a lot faster, higher, and
> further than the C172, and it should be a lot of fun even before we
> start fine-tuning the model.
>

> Enjoy,
>

> David
>
> --
> David Megginson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project