Norman Vine writes:
> Curtis L. Olson writes:
> >
> >Norman Vine writes:
> >>
> >> This is getting repetitive
> >>
> >> Would someone who has SimGear CVS write privlidge
> >> PLEASE change the CXXFLAGS variable in
> >>
> >> SimGear/simgear/metakit/unix/Makefile.in to
> >>
> >> # not normally compiled with -g, but you can specify it in
> >the make command
> >> CXXFLAGS = -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -DNDEBUG
> >> #CXXFLAGS = -fguiding-decls -Wall -pedantic -Wno-unused -g
> >> #CXXFLAGS = @CXXFLAGS@ -DNDEBUG
> >>
> >> THANK YOU
> >
> >Norman,
> >
> >Do you know if this change will work ok on other platforms, why does
> >it help?  I don't recall anyone submitting this patch to me before,
>
> http://www.menet.umn.edu/~curt/lists/fgfs/archive-200104/msg00623.html
>
> FYI  Google search string
> 'NDEBUG metakit site:menet.umn.edu'

Right, so now we are both inheriting SimGear flags and including
-DNDEBUG as per the message you cite.  Why do we want to change it to
something else?  It sounds like if we change this we will then break
Irix.

Getting metakit to build properly from within SimGear has been a PITA
from day one.  Right now I'm voting for de-bundling it.  Most linux
users could just install the metakit package for their distro.  Norman
could probably talk it into cygwin if it's not there already.  Someone
could provide a prebuilt msvc lib/dll for it, and the few people left
over from other platforms will have to build it from scratch
themselves which isn't a big deal anyway.  Comments?

(I'm heading out the door right now and will offline for most of the
day.)

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project