On 2001.12.17 21:27 Jeff wrote:
> I have made a few 3d models for fg and two of them are downloadable from
> my
> home page, if anyone wants to try them out. Have not had the time to
> figure
> out how to place them in fg as scenery but was able to use them as an
> aircraft model (funny to see a building flying around). So they will load
>
> into fg but not sure if they will sit flat on the ground etc.

Here I transcript the method I use to put objects in scenery:
1) Open Atlas and choose the exact point where you will put the model. I am
doing my own changes to Atlas code, see in my homepage
http://www.geocities.com/bj0v/atlas/. One change I will do is to add a
crossline in the map so you can measure in a practical way the coordinates
of any point without having to zoom a lot of times.

2) Start fgfs with the --lon and --lat parameters command line parameters,
indicating the coordinates of the choosen point and redirect output to a
file, for example, with " > output,txt 2>&1" at the end of command line.
Remember that the values you must give to this parameters are in degrees,
so you have to transform the degrees.minutes.seconds format that Atlas
shows, to degrees (i.e. 14 deg 30 minutes = 14.5 deg).

So, when fgfs starts, take the altitude over sea level of the point by
looking at the rightmost altitude indicator in the hud.
Here the altitude is shown in feet by default, which is more precise than
if it were shown it meters.

Another further project with Atlas utility may be to read the information
on DEM files (with code borrowed from Terragear) and show them in the
display, so only with Atlas you can do everything (imagine to put a lot of
scenery objects and with each of them run fgfs, or even travel with your
plane over the ground to all this points, which is not so practical
anyway). Another adding to Atlas may be to read the scenery information and
display the objects in the map as symbols, so to facilitate even more the
scenery construction.

3)Open the output.txt file (in this example) and search the first
appearance of the words "Loading tile". This will lead you to the first
scenery file opened. Take note of the complete path to this file, and go to
it. Suposse the path is FlightGear/Scenery/w060s40/w059s35/1985984.
When you go to FlightGear/Scenery/w060s40/w059s35/, you will find two
1985984 files: one with extension btg and another with extension stg. The
former is the scenery file. The last is an ascii file which has at least
one line.
In this example, this first and mandatory line you will find is

        OBJECT_BASE 1985984.btg

If you want to add 3d objects to scenery, you have to add the following
line:

        OBJECT_STATIC name_of_file  longitude(in degrees)  latitude(in
degrees) altitude(in meters) heading

In our example could be:

        OBJECT_STATIC tvantenna.3ds  -58.533333 -34.816667 16 0

 Note that you must convert the ground altitude from feet to meters. The
heading is the orientation of the model.

4) Finally, and objectionable, copy the 3d model file in that directory, so
it can be found by flightgear.
Objectionable because actually flightgear is not capable to load scenery
objects from the directory FlightGear/Models/Geometry, for example, so to
avoid having a copy of generical models in all the scenery subdirectories.

That's all. Run fgfs again, and see your models put in scenery.

Martin.