Roman Grigoriev writes:
> your method is hardly expensive in LAN
> why not to use rsh shutdown command but I don't know how

You just have to figure out your comptures' shutdown command, then
something like 'rsh right.channel.my.domain halt' would do the trick.

I suppose you could come up with a wrapper script that runs flightgear
for the center channel and when the program exits, continue on with
the script which executes the rsh (or perhaps ssh) commands.

If security wasn't a concern, you could do things like create an
account, user name = 'halt' where the 'shell' program was /sbin/halt,
then you just log in as user 'halt' (or rsh -l halt machine.name) and
the machine will shutdown.

You could probably wire halt to an inetd port via inetd.conf, then
just opening a connection to that port will halt the machine.

Or like Alex suggested, just write a simple watchdog script that pings
the master computer every few seconds and then shutsdown if no
response.

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project