I had someone email me this weekend that the fgfs-base-0.7.8.tar.gz
has a virus (as detected by the McAffee vshield.)

This file has nothing executable in it, and has never lived on an MS
operating system where it could have picked up a virus.  But I'm not
up on the latest MS stuff.  Maybe one of our textures or sound files
by random luck get's interpretted as a VB script and just happens to
have virus properties, or some sequence of bytes in our data matches
some virus signature????

Can anyone out there check this tarball and see if there is indeed
some problem for windows users we need to worry about, or if this is
just a 'false positive' from McAffee?  McAffee, couldn't actually
suggest which virus it was, just that it thought there was a virus ...

But again, this is a tarball with only data files in it and no code so
by all that is good and right, it can't contain a virus, but MS does a
few things that are neither good nor right, so it would be nice if
some MS jockey would be willing to check this out and make sure there
actually is not a problem.

Thanks,

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project