David Megginson writes:
> Interesting -- I won't promise to integrate this into the 3D models
> this week, but it should show up eventually.
>
> How far should this go?  For variable-pitch props, we could something
> like
>
>   /engines/engine[n]/prop-pitch-norm
>
> and you could see where the governor is keeping the blades and whether
> they're feathered.  That wouldn't be hard to do from JSBSim (which
> actually knows the pitch angle), but it might be trickier from YASim.
>
> I'm worried about how far this will all lead, though.

David,

I think the gear compression is actually an important one because it
should prevent the wheels from going partially underground, or
floating above the surface as the plane taxis, brakes, turns, etc.
These are quite obvious visual anamolies.  If you look at it from the
perspective of 'depth cues' and trying to make the plane appear as if
it is on the runway, having the gear float or go under ground gives
the brain conflicting information about where the aircraft actually is
relative to the ground.  In the absence of other natural depth cues
(such as shadows) the brain is likely to make the wrong conclusion.
If we do try to add shadows, it will be important for the gear to be
rooted on the ground, otherwise the shadows will not match the
aircraft.