Martin Dressler writes:

 > Thera are a lot of strange things in view code. It is initialized
 > here and there. There is also problem with lat,lon positions. The
 > code is too oriented towards FDM position not to viewer
 > position. It's not problem with current view modes, but it could be
 > problem with tower (or ground :) view.

I agree -- it's a pretty serious mess (but it was useful having it up
to now).  I'm also planning to do some work on the view code, so let's
make sure we don't end up duplicating each-others' work -- send in
your changes frequently rather than saving them all up, and I'll do
the same.

Instead of rewriting from scratch, I'm thinking of trying to
reorganize what we have first.  Norm Vine did some of the work on the
view code, and he knows an awful lot more than I do about how to
write and optimize all the matrix and coordinate transforms.
 > <sim>
 >  <views>
 >    <view>
 >      <type>pilot</type>
 >    </view>
 >    <view>
 >      <type>chase</type>
 >      <default>
 >       <radius-m>25</radius-m>
 >      </default>
 >    </view>
 >    <view>
 >      <type>chase</type>
 >      <default>
 >       <radius-m>100</radius-m>
 >      </default>
 >    </view>
 >    <view>
 >      <type>ground</type>
 >      <default>
 >        <left-m>5</left-m>
 >        <before-m>3</before-m>
 >        <agl-m>2</agl-m>
 >      </default>
 >    </view>
 >  </views>
 > </sim>

That looks good -- a single, configurable view manager would be better
than a few ad-hoc, hard-coded ones.  You'll need to be able to specify
a few more parameters (i.e. draw the 3D model, look towards the plane,
reverse view direction [for external], etc.).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson