> A few quick questions to the pilots about comm radios - do you
> hear transmissions from both comm1 and comm2 if appropriately
> tuned in without having to expicitly switch between them.  If so, do
> simultaneous transmissions get overlaid and garbled or does it just
> play the strongest one.  And can I assume that two comm radios
> is the most anyone will ever have or do some planes have 3, 4,
> more?

Each radio operates independently and will receive whatever is onchannel.
However, usually the radios (and other things that make noises) are
wired through the so-called audio panel that decides which combination
of sounds is sent to the speaker and/or the headset and/or any other
place that sound can be heard.

In a C172, all the headsets are usually wired together, so there is only
one switchable entry for headsets.

Many panels have a "radio 1/2" switch, that decides which radio gets the
microphone.  In this situation, instead of "COM1" and "COM2" inputs,
you might have "SEL" and "UNSEL" "BOTH" buttons, or a combination of them.

On a hypothetical C172, your sources are ...
COM1 COM2
NAV1 NAV2
ADF
MARKER
GPS

STALL
GEAR
The latter two are generally not able to be disconnected from the speaker.

Often, the rear seat headsets can be disconnected from the front seat ones.
This can increase panel complexity, although no effect on other operations.