Roman Grigoriev wrote:

> Guys
> could you please explain me some state of things
> 1) plib and vertex arrays
> Does this feature implement yet in plib or not
> if not mybe there are some suggestions how to make it
> As I understand now plib works with display lists
> this can speed up rendering process but if we use vertex arrays it will be
> more faster
> so we can run for example ./configure --with-nvidia-ext
> as I understand when I load models from 3ds I should get vertexes normals
> and texture coordinates for separate arrays and locate them to card memory
> or there are another way?
> 2) multitexturing and plib
> To implement lightmaps for FGFS (light lobes) I need multitexturing
> The process:
> 1) read all poligons vertexes,normals,texcoords
> 2) use multitexturing
> 3) compute lightmaps
> 4) apply main texture and lightmaps texture
> Any suggestions how to make it using plib

We have discussed how to implement multitexturing support, and it turns
out to be pretty hard to do without causing minor performance penalties
for single-textured geometry. To be realistic, I do not think you will se
it happen until the next major release of PLIB (but I promise to try and
push it the best I can).

There is another option, but only if you have a pressing need. You may
subclass ssgSimpleState and add support for the secondary texture
yourself. The problem is that you CANNOT use this new state in parallell
with the original. ALL states must be of the new kind (including
ssgContext::currentState!). We are using such an approach and it works
because all geometry is loaded by a special version of the ASE loader, but
there are certainly other ways to assure this. I cannot recommend this
route. What I can do is to provide you with some source code, but be sure
to understand the problems first.

To summarize, you have two options:
(1) wait until SSG supports multiple textures, or
(2) do it the hard way.

/Marten