Andy Ross writes:

 > That's exactly the idea.  You take a "plane of instruments" (what
 > we're currently calling a panel XML file) and project it into 3D space
 > via specifying corners.  It draws on top of the existing stuff, with
 > no problems whatsoever.  If you want to have only one instrument per
 > panel, that works fine.  Most (well, all) cockpits, though, have a
 > bunch of flat boards with instruments mounted on them.  Call each one
 > of those a "panel" and we're done.  All the work carries over
 > automatically.
 >
 > The only code changes required are to allow the corner vertices to be
 > specified in the configuration (/sim/panels[n]/bottom-left/x-m,
 > etc...), and allow more than one panel to be created at once.  Maybe
 > there's a need for a "cockpit" xml file to unify some of this.

I don't look at raw OpenGL all that often -- I guess I'll have to do a
bit of trig to figure out the transformation, given the corners.  If
you have even the slightest inclination to try this yourself, please
be my guest.

I do need to get the panel into a proper SSG scene graph some day
soon.

All the best,

David

--