Hi All

So I spent a day with three of the pilots at the SAAF Museum, talking about the DC-3 the whole day long.  This is our (actually their) conclusion :

2 of the 3 are avid MSFS pilots in conjunction with their daily jobs of flying DC-3's and DC-4's.  According to them, that massive DC-3 package for MSFS accurately (80%) of the aircraft's flying qualities.  To minimize confusion, I'll email the .air file to everyone who's interested.  They say that any more things to be added to that, is the fancy quirks of the Dak, eg :
  • On startup, one does not just engage the starter.  It has an inertia starter, which means the starter has to be "wound up", before it is engaged.
  • Because it is a radial, it's very temperamental about taxiing the aircraft.  The groundcrew has an endless battle with the pilots about taxiing procedures.  One does not taxi the aircraft with rich texture, as at these low power settings a too-rich mixture actually clogs up the spark plugs, causing the engines to cough up smoke, flames out the engines and then the engine will stall after a few seconds.
  • Landing gear retraction is quite complicated, and I'm still a little unsure about the whole process.  When the landing gear is retracted, you first pull a lever to pull out a locking pin, and then the handle to raise the gear.  Failure to do so will cause the gear to get stuck in the middle, and it won't budge, neither up nor down.
I'm so glad I could make someone's day.  They spent a good few minutes laughing at me when I asked for info on the lift coefficients etc.  They said it's easier to get the pope pregnant.  I'll be supplied with the performance graphs and other info only after the 13th of April unfortunately, as they are being used for the annual maintenance check on the aircraft.  They have to get it done before the 13th, as it's a museum airshow then.  I will be able to get the basic info for you on Saturday, things like basic operating speeds.

Just so you know, we have a Douglas DC-3A-1dk.  It operates with the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 motors, but this one is specially modified to have the two-stage supercharger.  Oh, they also asked that you incorporate accurate superchargers into the model as well

I hope this helps a bit, and the pilots volunteered to do flighttesting for us, so, once you're finished and would like to have it tested, send it to me and I'll have it done for you.

Regards

Danie Heath
Web Integrator
RisC Com cc