Andy Ross writes:

 > We're evidently talking past each other.  What you say is true.  It is
 > *also* true that, under YASim, you have non-zero pilot offset numbers.
 > These are (1) defined by the FDM, in conflict with similar definitions
 > in the model, and (2) in an apparently different coordinate space from
 > the one the viewer is expecting.
 >
 > The viewer must be using those properties
 > (/sim/view/pilot/x-offset-m), no?  How else would the settings by
 > YASim be affecting the view location?

OK, here's how I had understood things:

1. The FDM sets the plane's lat/lon/alt to the ideal pilot viewpoint.

2. /sim/view/pilot/*-offset-m are properties controlled by the user
   and/or the view manager, and are added to the lat/lon/alt supplied
   by the FDM.

Here's how Andy understands things:

1. The FDM sets the plane's lat/lon/alt to the origin, which is any
   arbitrary point on the plane's body.

2. /sim/view/pilot/*-offset-m are properties controlled by the FDM to
   give the offsets from the origin to the ideal pilot viewpoint.

I'd like to reserve the /sim/view properties literally for allowing
the user to move around inside (or outside) the plane.  If my #1 is
not correct, perhaps we should all the FDMs to put offsets somewhere
under the FDM hierarchy.

All the best,

David

--