Jim Wilson wrote:

> Alex Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > > Gadds. I don't know...even with an almost completely idle cpu occaisonally I
> > > seem to have these weird performance discrepencies.  It isn't heat, so who
> > > knows.  Maybe its something weird about the kernel.  Later without changing
> > > anything it looked much better, aproximately a 10% improvement over previous.
> > > Sorry about the confusion.
> > >

> > Have you got a variable speed processor, like a notebook kind ?
> > If you don't compile support for the feature into the processor,
> > the system will run with whatever the BIOS thought you should use.
> > On one of my machines, there is a 5/6 ratio, aka 16% performance loss.
> >

> Well its a PIII 750 desktop.  It isn't trying to save power.  Suppose it could
> be heat related...but I don't really know if this system steps down speed or
> just halts when the heat hits threshold.

I konw that the P4 reduces speed when it gets too hot. (the PIII might
do it, too)

It's nice to know that your CPU works slower under heavy load...

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...