At 4/9/02, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 10 April 2002 10:02 pm, you wrote:
> > "Microsoft To Join The Centennial Of Flight Celebration As Part Of
> >  EAA's Countdown To Kitty Hawk Presented By Ford Motor Company"
> > http://www.countdowntokittyhawk.com/news/microsoft.html
> >
> > Go read it for the full details, but it basically says that Micros~1
> > will be creating a "highly detailed" flight model for the 1903 Wright
> > Flyer to be used in a big simulator.  Here's the interesting part:
> >
> > <quote>
> > To create the most accurate simulation of the 1903 Wright Flyer, the
> > Microsoft "Flight Simulator" team plans to work with EAA to research the
> > details of the aircraft, the site where the Flyer flew and historical
> > accounts of Dec. 17, 1903. The team also will observe wind tunnel tests
> > of EAA's 1903 Wright Flyer reproduction - the only Flyer to fly at the
> > First Flight Centennial Celebration. Those experiences and the data will
> > help ensure that the 3-D visuals and the flight model of the aircraft in
> > Microsoft "Flight Simulator" are as detailed and accurate as possible.
> > </quote>
> >
> > I wonder if the EAA would be willing to share their research data with
> > the rest of us?  Any EAA members here?
>
>I dunno, but M Selig from UIUC has been working on a flyer model for fgfs
>for a while

John is right, I did put together a model of the 1903 Wright Flyer.  I used
data from the NASA Ames test (AIAA Paper 2000-0512) and the reference is here:

Jex, H, Grimm, R., Latz, J.P., and Hange, C., Full-Scale 1903 Wright Flyer
Wind Tunnel Test Results from the NASA Ames Research Center AIAA 38th
Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA Paper No. 2000-0512, 2000.
http://www.wrightflyer.org/Papers/papers.html

Another key person is Prof Culick at Caltech.  Together with several
others, he's analyzed the Flyer inside and out, and he's published a number
of papers on it.  His interests do not stop there: he's planning on flying
a Wright Flyer look-alike in 2003 ... and because the original design was
unstable, he asked us here to design a "new" airfoil for his Wright Flyer
(the Los Angeles AIAA Section/Caltech group).  This new airfoil + a change
in cg + some other subtle changes will make the aircraft (the "look-alike")
more stable, which is the only sane thing to do!

The sim model requires CONSTANT attention to maintain pitch attitude and
avoid stall.  Looking away for 1/3 sec is enough to find yourself looking
at the ground or blue sky without much of a chance to recover. Stall is
very interesting.  The aircraft will pitch up, and the canard will stall
but it still generates enough lift to keep pitching up the "nose".  Then
the main wing will stall and create an even higher angle of attack on the
canard as the cg heaves down due to lost of lift.  At this point the canard
goes into a deep stall, the diving moment of the wing takes over and
pitches the aircraft down rapidly.  The canard control power is VERY
marginal, and the pullout is rather dramatic (slow).  50-75 ft can be lost
very easily ... and that was 50 ft of clawing to altitude.

One illusion in the sim is that when the main wing stalls, the canard seems
to pitch up "too fast".  What's really happening is that the cg of the
aircraft is dropping down.  The view from the controls is one of seeing the
canard rise up.  But in side-view the drop of the main wing can be seen
fairly well.

The model is here:
http://amber.aae.uiuc.edu/~m-selig/apasim/Aircraft-uiuc.html

The data from the full-scale tests, which I used, is a gold mine to someone
like me wanting to model the Flyer in a sim.  One important thing is
lacking, however.  Stall data was not taken because of, presumably,
instrumentation concerns.  Nevertheless, my model is a nonlinear aero model
(i.e. has stall) with data going from -35 to +35 deg alfa.  It required
some effort to estimate the stall data and independent effects of the
canard and wing.

I have recently added in apparent mass effects (version 2), but that model
and associated code is not yet in the CVS.

If anyone wants to try it (version 1), a good 3D model is the
"03Flyer.zip" (www.flightsim.com):
FS2002 - 1903 Wright Flyer Model by Paul Beardsley

  Prof. Michael S. Selig
  Dept. of Aero/Astro Engineering
  306 Talbot Laboratory
  104 South Wright Street
  Urbana, IL 61801-2935
  (217) 244-5757 (o), (509) 691-1373 (fax)
  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-selig
  http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-selig/faq.html (FAQ)