Jon S Berndt writes:

 > I'll try and have a look this evening, but Tony's probably
 > the better one to look at this. But, IIRC he's very busy
 > this week.

Basically, Frederic's loosing elevator authority before he loses lift.
I don't have my C172 POH yet (the flying club usually has students
train on the 150, and they have to order a 172 copy for me), so I'll
quote from a much less authoritative source, the FLY! User Manual:

  Either way, you've "stalled" according to the FAA.  In the first
  case, there's been an actual separation of the airflow over the
  wings, and the airplane has started to drop.  In the second case,
  you've run out of elevator control; the airflow is at least partly
  separated, and you're not producing enough lift to hold the airplae
  up (hence the rapid rate of descent).

All the best,

David

--