Norman Vine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Jim Wilson writes:
> >
> >David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >
> >> As of this morning, FlightGear has a new infrastructure for
> >> incorporating moving, animated 3D models besides the aircraft model.
> >> This is not intended to be a general solution for adding thousands of
> >> bridges, buildings, etc. to the scenery
> >
> >Why not?
>
> My guess after a  quick peek at the code is that because the method
> used is based on the 'global' FGLocation positioning scheme and will
> rapidly effect the system's performance.  Just doing the math required
> to update the transformations when more then 'several' of these objects
> are used
> < 'several' is very machine dependent and my WAG is 100's would affect
>  the fast machines and 10's would be noticeable on slow machines, There
>  is a lot of the Math that can be 'special cased' to improve this but ...>

Actually these should only update once if they do not move.

> Static Objects like buildings, trees, parked cars ect want to be placed
> into the 'Tile Based FGFS Scenery' coordinate system 'once' where
> they can then just be rendered along with the rest of that tile without
> any additional positioning overhead then what is already done in one
> 'quick swoop' for 'everything' in that tile.
The tile solution is interesting and I need to know more about it before
commenting on how to do it.  Basically I like the idea of specifying the model
position and orientation in xml (of course that could just be my lack of
understanding).  What might be interesting to start with (and simpler than the
current method) is something where we could just have a KSFO-models.xml and
put them in the scenery directory structure.

Best,

Jim