Simon Fowler writes:

 > Are there any plans for adding support for the interesting bits of
 > weather to this model? (ie, storms, realistic winds that actually
 > relate to the rest of the weather model, etc)

We cannot do fully realistic winds, at least not with the amount of
computing power available to us today.  FGEnvironment does support
gusting winds, not just in theory but in practice (i.e. they bounce
the plane around and knock it off course) -- that's something we
didn't have before.

 > There seemed to be support for them in the CM weather stuff, and it
 > seems a little redundant to be adding a new, less capable model when
 > there's one already there . . .

WeatherCM currently has a bitbucket to hold the bounds of a
thunderstorm and a random calculation for lightning probability, but
that's only a tiny step -- most of the actual work of modelling
thunderstorms (and other weather phenomena) needs to be done for
either weather subsystem.

All the best,

David

--